Vito Glazers on Instagram.com
Instagram is a primarily mobile app created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger and launched in October 2010. Originally it only worked with Apple’s iPhone, iPod and iPad, but expanded to include Android phones. Around this time the service quickly grew to over 100 million users. Shortly after, in April 2012, Facebook acquired Instagram for 1 Billion Dollars in cash and stock options.
Instagram is a social network that revolves around photo and video sharing. It allows users to take photos and videos on their phone, apply digital filters, and share them on other social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. Instagram also allows and encourages users to #hashtag photos so that users can connect with other like minded smart phone photography enthusiasts.
1) Unique way to connect with your personal network using only photo’s and captions, and easy share settings make it simple to spread your images across the largest social networks.
2) Filters and features are frequently updated, and many 3rd party applications are available to compliment their current frames and filters
3) The app is advertisement free as of early 2014
1) Can only upload and edit content on mobile devices
2) Images are restricted to a square shape
3) Although businesses can establish their brand on the app, there is no platform to advertise or promote a brand or business
Social Network Review:
Instagram is a fun social network primarily for mobile phones. If you don’t have an iPhone or a smartphone with at least an 8 megapixel camera, your content will not look that good. It is a nice app to share pictures and videos and is an alternative to the abundance of status updates and links on Facebook. 3rd party applications can help your content stand out even more, and hashtags make it easy to connect with others who have similar interests.